One of Australia’s most recognised and respected politicians, the Honourable Julie Bishop will share unique and intimate insights into business and leadership when she takes to the stage in Brisbane in March as keynote speaker at the 2020 Club Plus Super AHG Breakfast.
The breakfast will be held on Thursday, March 19, from 7.30-9.30am, at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre. It is run in conjunction with the annual 2020 MAX Australasian Hospitality and Gaming Expo (AHG Expo) which is also on at the Convention Centre from March 18-19.
To whet your appetite for the breakfast, here are some of the most interesting and compelling facts about Julie Bishop that you may (or may not!) already know…
- Julie Bishop was the first female Deputy Leader of the Liberal Party in its 75-year history, a position she held from 2007 until 2018.
- Julie Bishop was Australia’s first female Foreign Minister, representing our nation’s interest on the world stage for five years.
- Julie Bishop served as the Federal Member for the West Australian seat of Curtin for 20 years.
- In her time, under John Howard, she held portfolios including Ageing (2003-06), Education and Science (2006-07) and Women (2006-07).
- Julie Bishop’s career didn’t actually start in politics. She studied law at the University of Adelaide.
- Prior to serving as the Federal Member for Curtin, Ms Bishop was Managing Partner of the law firm Clayton Utz, in Perth.
- Julie Bishop led the international response to the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 over Ukraine to global acclaim.
- It was also under her leadership that the Foreign Policy White Paper was developed in 2017 – a comprehensive policy framework that will guide the next decade.
- One of Julie Bishop’s most cherished political legacies is the New Colombo Plan, which has supported 40,000 Australian undergraduates to live, study and work in the Indo-Pacific region.
- As of January this year, Julie Bishop is Chancellor of Australian National University.
- She is chair of Telethon Kid’s Institute.
- She is a board member of The Prince’s Trust Australia.
- She is director of The Palladium Group.
- She is also a member of the international advisory boards of Afiniti, Greensill Capital and the Human Vaccines Project.
- Julie Bishop has also found time to establish her own boutique advisory firm, Julie Bishop and Partners.
- During AFL season, you’ll likely find Julie Bishop cheering on the West Coast Eagles as she was previously the club’s Number 1 ticket holder and a board member.
- She grew up on an apple and cherry orchard in Basket Range, a small town in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia.
- Julie Bishop has a deep and unbridled love for fashion. The AFR reported Australian fashion icon Carla Zampatti as being impressed by the fact that Ms Bishop styled her own wardrobe.
- Julie Bishop’s crystal encrusted red high heels (reminiscent of those worn by Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz) worn on the day she announced she was stepping down as Foreign Minister once had their own Instagram profile. They are now in a museum in Old Parliament House in Canberra.
Intrigued? Hear more from Julie Bishop at the 2020 Club Plus Super AHG Breakfast on Thursday, March 19. Tickets are available at www.ahgexpo.com